Easy Strawberry and Blueberry Galette
May 17, 20
It's almost summer and what better way to celebrate the beginning with some ripe berries. A crowd pleaser that celebrates the best of all kinds of fruits, especially ripe, sweet, juicy berries, yet it only takes a few moments to prepare. A galette is an open faced, freeform pie that can be filled with all kinds of fruits or even savory options. This recipe uses a homemade pie crust that can be whipped up in minutes in the food processor, but this galette can easily be made with a store bought pie crust for even more convenience.
This crust can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the dough for spur in the moment galette.
- 1 ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in to cubes
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons of ice cold water
- 1lb Strawberries, hulled and sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 6oz Blueberries
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar and additional for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp flour
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Pulse flour, butter and salt in a food processor for a few times until butter pieces become small pebbles.
- Gradually add water 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough can be loosely formed. The dough won’t come completely together in the food processor.
- Dump everything on to a lightly floured surface and form the dough into a rectangle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F and move the oven rack to the bottom third position.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling by first rubbing lemon zest with the sugar and flour until very fragrant. Then add vanilla extract and salt.
- Take out prepared dough from the refrigerator and bash with a rolling pin to soften. Then roll out to a roughly 12 inch circle that’s about ¼ inch thick. Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Mix the sliced strawberries and blueberries with the sugar mixture and add lemon juice to combine.
- Place the fruit mixture in the center of the pie crust and gently spread the mixture evenly but leaving a 2 inch border around the edges.
- Fold the edges and gently pressing down the fruit at the same time to close the galette. Put into the freezer for 10 minutes until the crust is firm.
- Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Put into the oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream, whipped cream, or just a splash of cream.